Pattern: Rib and Cable Socks, Interweave Knits Fall 2005
Yarn: Patons Kroy, Chelsea Tweed
Needles: 2.75mm DPNs (would use 3mm were I to do this again)
I’m very pleased with how these turned out. This is the first non-basic pair of socks that I’ve done, and so it took some getting used to with the cable twists on such tiny needles. They’re comfortable, attractive, and my sister said they were “pretty badass socks” when I tried them on after binding off, so I’d say that makes these winners
They are not without errors, though. From the shot above they look just fine, but there is a big honking mistake in the left sock. Allow me to explain:
Somewhere in the process of working the heel flap, I dropped the 2 purl stitches and 1 knit stitch along the right side of the instep, and as a result the right hand cable got a little too snuggly with the gusset. By the time I realized my mistake I managed to correct as best I could (I actually went to the process of adding the stitches back in and getting to the toe decreases BEFORE I realized what was up), but by that point I was not about to rip it back. So, the sock is 3 stitches more snug than it should be across the arch, but as long as the sock stays on my left foot then only I’ll notice the difference.
And another thing – I used 1 ball for each sock, and for each sock, this is how much I had leftover:
It’s probably a solid 10-15m in each ball, but it looks like a whole lot less when you’ve got Ladies Size 11 feet and still have a couple of inches left to go with the toe.
I’ll be glad when it’s cool enough to start wearing these